Here’s 10 things I find interesting in some of my favorite songs and felt like sharing, no real reason other than I’m killing time between cleaning and wanted to write something. Maybe you know about them all, maybe you don’t - some are obvious and others are less known.
- The last line from The Format’s Interventions & Lullabies is “we all fall down” and the first line to Dog Problems is “ashes to ashes.”
- Brand New’s “Limousine” is about … this. I doubt it’s possible to watch that video and not cry. Also, that there’s a Track 0 on TDAGARIM.
- In The Gaslight Anthem’s “Meet Me By The River’s Edge” the lyric, “No surrender, my Bobby Jean” are two songs, in sequence, from Bruce Springsteen’s Born in the USA.
- The end of Set Your Goals “To Be Continued” references a plethora of Something Corporate songs, a band who also references Jimmy Eat World and New Found Glory in their songs.
- Basically everything about the references in Jimmy Eat World’s “A Praise Chorus,” where after the second stanza, seven songs become the “praise chorus” of the title. The first is sung continuously in the background; the other six are sung over this background-vocal track.
- Gatsbys American Dream’s “Fable" is a huge homage to Lord of the Flies.
- Thursday’s “Jet Black New Year,” “Tomorrow I’ll Be You” and “At This Velocity” all play off each other … listen to them back to back and read the lyrics.
- The Track 0 on Fall Out Boy’s Folie à Deux was written as a lullaby for Pete’s son.
- The Format’s “The First Single” has the lyrics “and I hate what I’ve become,” which Nate then references in “Dog Problems” with, “when I said I hate what I’ve become, I lied - I hated who I was.”
- Motion City Soundtrack’s lyric, “I want to thank you for being a part of my forget-me-nots and marigolds, and all the things that can’t get old. Is it legal to do this, I surely don’t know. It’s the only way I know how to express myself - through other peoples descriptions of life.” from ”L.G.F.U.A.D” references “Forget Me” by The Promose Ring - and then calls it out.
These are the ones I was thinking about and wanted to write down … just stuff floating around my head on a cold January day, here alone in my place. If you got others you love … please share!