This week’s main topic of Encore is focused on when we listen to music, and specifically: background music. Do we listen to music in the background while working? What about while doing other activities? What kind of music? What genres? Can we watch TV while working in the background? When do we listen to podcasts? And on top of that there’s talk about music’s role in our lives as we get older and grow up. What role does music have in our lives now? We also discuss some follow-up about last week’s Blink-182 episode, My Chemical Romance teasing things, Pokémon Go, and much more.
Hosts + More
- Pre-show: Blue Apron, new cat, existing cats, Pokemon GO, My Chemical Romance, miscellaneous chit-chat.
- We will be recording short episodes (15-20 mins) exclusively for supporters of Chorus.fm — we’re recording the first one today. Become a supporter and look for the exclusive forum to learn more about this.
- Today’s BIG MAIN TOPIC is music as background noise. Do you listen to music while you work? While you do anything else? Cooking, cleaning, playing video games, falling asleep, etc?
- Did you formerly either listen or not listen? Have habits changed with age / with the type of work you do?
- What kind of music seems best for this function? Stuff you know well? New stuff that you’re interested in, or maybe new stuff that you’re only semi-interested in checking out? Stuff that you know you like but you don’t exactly know all the words? Etc.
- Genre preferences? Are there genres you’ll listen to more in this context than when you more actively listen? Any specific artists or albums fall into that?
- Why is this a thing? Do you do anything else — have TV on or a movie — while you’re working?
- JT Recommends: Stranger Things (Netflix), Tiger Army “V***-”, Your Boy Tony Braxton – “Adult Contempt”, New Descendents on Friday, Ignite – “A War Against You”, Relient K – “Air for Free” (first impression supporter blog),
- TN Recommends: Steven Hyden – ‘Celebration Rock’ – how 90s rock became classic rock, this shelf that Tom Kelly made me for my Star Wars Funko POPs.
You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via any podcast player using our RSS feed, on SoundCloud, via Overcast, in Google Play, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes, or on SoundCloud.
If you have any follow-up, questions, or a topic you’d like us to cover on a future episode, please send a tweet using the hashtag #askEncore. If you’d like to follow this podcast on Twitter we are at @encorepodcast. We love hearing from listeners and are always looking for topics both big and small to tackle. So, let us know!
If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.