If you like this website and want to see it continue, please consider purchasing a membership package. We have three tiers of membership and all of the packages contain the exact same perks.
You can read about all of the perks below, but the highlights include:
That's the quick pitch, if you want the longer version you can jump below.
Gift a Membership
Have a friend you'd like to gift a membership to? Nothing says friendship quite like giving someone Dark Mode and knowing you're helping this website.
Making something and putting it out into the world is terrifying. Will anyone like this? Will anyone care? Will I be able to do this for a living? When I made the decision to create this website and write independently, I asked myself these questions over and over again. In a brief moment of clarity, I realized my bigger regret would be not reaching for my dream and taking the leap. That doesn’t mean I’m not scared shitless I’ll fail. But it does mean I’m willing to try.
Running Chorus.fm is my full-time job. I've been writing and publishing online for over 15 years and starting Chorus has been the most fulfilling and exciting work of my entire life — I want to keep doing it for as long as possible. When I first started AbsolutePunk.net, the business model was I write, I sell some ads, and the money we made from ads was how I made a living. But publishing and the online landscape has changed a lot since then and we've moved into a world where online advertising sorta sucks. Most publications are chasing a pageview model that leads to gross advertisements taking over your entire screen, tracking you around the internet, and bloating up the pages you are trying to read. No one wins in that scenario. Instead, I want to be completely upfront with how we make money here. The first is through an ad system that respects our visitors while providing value to the advertiser. The second is through direct support from our readers.
I want to always be completely upfront with everyone about how we make money and what our goals are. Right now, we are about one-half of the way to being sustained completely by reader support. With your help we can be completely self-sustained within 12 months. But, we need your help to get there. We've put together a few tiers of annual support that range from basically pennies per day to going above and beyond. Most of the packages can be purchased on this page in under a minute using a credit card and all of your information is completely private and we will never share it with anyone. If you're a community member we have a special Community Package that is attached to that username and comes with a few other perks.
Here's what it all boils down to: I love running this website and what we're building, and I'm committed to making the best website I possibly can for as long as I can. I'd love your help and support on this journey.
Sign in to manage your supporter membership details. You can update your credit card information, make changes to your membership plan, and turn on or off auto renew. You can manage all your supporter options on this page if you're logged in as well (or from your forum control panel).
Your membership will renew one year from the date you purchased (unless you've signed up for the monthly option, then it'll be one month from your purchase date). An email will be sent a few days before renewal to remind you about the upcoming yearly charge, and you can turn off auto renew under your subscription tab.
Yes. There's a $9 per month option available right here. Truly, thank you.
Of course. You can easily do that right here.
Chorus.fm is an independent organization and running this website is my full-time job. Writing and managing the content, designing the website and forums, and keeping them all online and updated is how I make a living. I do various consulting work on the side, but most of my time and energy goes into this website. It's everything to me. First and foremost the money goes to paying for the website to function and stay online. Hosting and bandwidth fees, various software services, and a few back-up options get paid first. After that, the business pays a percentage to our contributors and the rest is how I pay the bills and put clothes on my body and food in my belly.
Without dedicated readers like you, and your support, we couldn't exist.
Yes. All payments on this page are processed via Stripe, an industry leading payment processor. Your email address and personal information will never be given to anyone for any purpose and we do not store your payment information anywhere on our servers. In fact, we never even see it.
Stripe can take any major credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, JCB). PayPal is also accepted for our Community Package.
You can purchase a gift membership for as many usernames as you'd like. The gifts are a one time payment and do not renew.
Of course! I'll never say no to beer money. You can easily send any amount via Square Cash.
All of our membership packages come with the same perks. You pick the package that works best for you. Once you've signed up, you'll unlock:
- Dark Mode: Supporters have access to a special dark mode theme that lets you browse the website with a black and slate color scheme. This theme works on both the main website and in the forums.
- No Ads: Regular members see sponsored advertisements around the website. This is one way we pay to keep running the website. However, if you’re a supporting member — those ads won’t show up anywhere.
- Bookmarks: Ever see a post in the forums you want to remember to come back to? Supporters get post bookmarks to save any post on the website to a bookmark list. Perfect for recommendations, funny jokes, or whatever you'd like to save and search later.
- Supporter Forum: You’ll get access to a special forum just for supporters. This section can be a nice getaway from the the busier portions of the forum and provide a place to chat with other website supporters. We’ve got special supporter only threads created for sports, politics, sharing music recommendations, playlists, discussing the latest podcast episodes with the hosts, and much more. This forum is also where I’ll post special announcements first — like limited merch runs, music rumors I hear, and things like that.
- Exclusive Content: Each week you'll have access to an exclusive newsletter post. This article usually contains technology tips or cool things I discovered throughout the week, a roundup of music, movies, books, and TV shows I enjoyed, thoughts on unreleased music, a ten song playlist of songs I loved during the week, and a variety of other tidbits. It's released on Friday and is usually followed by some Q&A in the supporter forum.
- First Listen Blogs: On a semi-regular basis I do "first listen" blogs in the supporter forum. This is where I'll listen to an album, usually before its release day and usually during one of the first few times I've heard it, and I'll live blog my thoughts on the songs and answer questions from readers about the music. The first impressions will be archived on the main website a few days later.
- Special Access to Me: I know it’s a little weird, but, I really want to be able to build up a special relationship with those that are helping support this website. You are the reason the website exists and this is one way I can say thank you. I’ll be participating in the supporters forum on a near daily basis: answering questions, sharing stories, doing Q&As, sharing product and story recommendations, and all sorts of stuff. While the main website is where I’ll be focusing most of my writing — this is where I’ll be participating most in the discussions. I want anyone that has questions for me, or really wants to get my attention about a specific topic, to be able to have a place where we can have a detailed back and forth discussion. This forum is where I’ll want to bounce article ideas off people, talk out crazy rumors about bands, and things like that.
- Cover Photos: Being a supporter gets your profile access to cover photo images.
- Supporter Badge: You’ll get a special blue “supporter” badge that will display on all of your posts, profile, and mini-profile in the forums. You can remove this if you'd like.
- Encore Perks: Supporters get early access to episodes of our podcast, Encore, usually the night before they go live on the website. We will also let supporters know about early access to merch runs, record special supporter only episodes, and hosts will participate in Q&As in the supporter thread.
- Unlimited Conversation Participants: Our private conversation system is a great way to chat, privately, with a few select friends on the website. Regular members can create private groups with a max of 8 participants, supporters have the ability to create private conversation groups with unlimited participants.
- Good Karma: A big part of being a member is knowing that you’re helping to power this website and supporting its continued existence.
- Free Username Changes: If you ever want to change your username, just message me.
- Other Things I Think Of: As I come up with other ideas to enhance the membership program (and I have quite a few), current members will automatically be included in on those as well.
Like what you see? Upgrade or create your account right now and help support this website. (There's also a yearly option available.) Thank you so much for your support of this website. We couldn't exist without you.