Already a patron? Sign in to manage your account.
Making something and putting it out into the world is terrifying. Will anyone like this? Will anyone care? Will I be able to do this for a living? When I made the decision to create this website and write independently, I asked myself these questions over and over again. In a brief moment of clarity, I realized my bigger regret would be not reaching for my dream and taking the leap. That doesn’t mean I’m not scared shitless I’ll fail. But it does mean I’m willing to try.
Running Chorus.fm is my full-time job. I've been writing and publishing online for over 15 years and starting Chorus has been the most fulfilling and exciting work of my entire life — I want to keep doing it for as long as possible. When I first started AbsolutePunk.net the business model was I write, I sell some ads, and the money we made from ads was how I made a living. But publishing and the online landscape has changed a lot since then and we've moved into a world where online advertising sorta sucks. Most publications are chasing a pageview model that leads to gross advertisements taking over your entire screen, tracking you around the internet, and bloating up the pages you are trying to read. No one wins in that scenario. Instead, I want to be completely upfront with how we make money here. The first is through an ad system that respects our visitors while providing value to the advertiser. The second is through direct support from our readers.
I want to always be completely upfront with everyone about how we make money and what our goals are. Right now, we are about one-third of the way to being sustained completely by reader support. Our goal is to pass over the three-quarters mark by the end of 2017. With your help we can be completely self-sustained not long after that. But, we need your help to get there. We've put together a few tiers of annual support that range from basically pennies per day to going above and beyond. Most of the packages can be purchased on this page in under a minute using a credit card (or even faster using Apple Pay) and all of your information is completely private and we will never share it with anyone. If you're a community member we have a special Community Package that is attached to that username and comes with a few other perks.
Here's what it all boils down to: I love running this website and what we're building, and I'm committed to making the best website I possibly can for as long as I can. I'd love your help and support on this journey.
Sign in to manage your membership account. You can update your email address, password, credit card information, and make changes to your membership plan. If you've signed up for a Community Package through our forums, you can manage those options via your forum control panel.
Your membership will renew one year from the date you purchased (unless you've signed up for the monthly option). An email will be sent a few days before renewal to remind you about the upcoming charge, or you can turn off auto renew under your subscription tab.
Of course. You can easily upgrade your membership to a Community Package (or Platinum Package) and after you've upgraded, just email me with your forum username and I will make sure your account gets upgraded. If you're already a Platinum Package supporter and you join our forums later please email me your username and I'll make sure your account gets updated as well.
Chorus.fm is an independent organization and running this website is my full-time job. Writing and managing the content, designing the website and forums, and keeping them all online and updated is how I make a living. I do various consulting work on the side, but most of my time and energy goes into this website. It's everything to me. First and foremost the money goes to paying for the website to function and stay online. Hosting and bandwidth fees, various software services, and a few back-up options get paid first. After that, the business pays a percentage to our contributors and the rest is how I pay the bills and put clothes on my body and food in my belly.
Without dedicated readers like you, and your support, we couldn't exist.
Yes. All payments on this page are processed via Stripe, an industry leading payment processor. The Community Package sold through our forums uses PayPal. Your email address and personal information will never be given to anyone for any purpose and we do not store your payment information anywhere on our servers.
Stripe can take any major credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, JCB) and we also accept Apple Pay. PayPal is accepted for our Community Package.
If you'd like to gift more than one membership, please email me and we can get that taken care of.
Of course! I'll never say no to beer money. You can easily send any amount via Square Cash.
Our Community Package is the only supporter package where we recommend you have a free forum account before you purchase the upgrade. We use this account to give you some bonus perks that are tied to your username. If you have already purchased another package, and want to upgrade to the Community Package, you can do so here and then email me your username.
Community Package members get the following forum perks:
- Supporter Badge: You’ll get a special blue “supporter” badge that will display on all of your posts, profile, and mini-profile.
- Supporter Forum: You’ll get access to a special forum just for supporters. This section can be a nice getaway from the the busier portions of the forum and provide a place to chat with other website supporters. We’ve got special supporter only threads created for sports, politics, sharing music recommendations, playlists, discussing the latest podcast episodes with the hosts, and much more. This forum is also where I’ll post special announcements first — like limited merch runs, music rumors I hear, and things like that.
- First Listen Blogs: On a semi-regular basis I do "first listen" blogs in the supporter forum. This is where I'll listen to an album, usually before its release day and usually during one of the first few times I've heard it, and I'll live blog my thoughts on the songs and answer questions from readers about the music.
- Dark Mode: Supporters have access to a special dark mode theme that lets you browse the forums with a black and slate color scheme.
- Special Access to Me: I know it’s a little weird, but, I really want to be able to build up a special relationship with those that are helping support this website. You are the reason the website exists and this is one way I can say thank you. I’ll be participating in the supporters forum on a near daily basis: answering questions, sharing stories, doing Q&As, sharing product and story recommendations, and all sorts of stuff. While the main website is where I’ll be focusing most of my writing — this is where I’ll be participating most in the discussions. I want anyone that has questions for me, or really wants to get my attention about a specific topic, to be able to have a place where we can have a detailed back and forth discussion. This forum is where I’ll want to bounce article ideas off people, talk out crazy rumors about bands, and things like that.
- No Ads in the Forums: Regular members see sponsored advertisement posts in threads. This is one way we pay to keep running the forum. However, if you’re a supporting member — those ads won’t show up.
- Cover Photos: Being a supporter gets your profile access to cover photo images.
- Encore Perks: Supporters get early access to episodes of our podcast, Encore, usually the night before they go live on the website. We will also let supporters know about early access to merch runs, record special supporter only episodes, and hosts will participate in Q&As in the supporter thread.
- Unlimited Conversation Participants: Our private conversation system is a great way to chat, privately, with a few select friends on the website. Regular members can create private groups with a max of 8 participants, supporters have the ability to create private conversation groups with unlimited participants.
- Good Karma: A big part of being a member is knowing that you’re helping to power this website and supporting its continued existence.
- Other Things I Think Of: As I come up with other ideas to enhance the membership program (and I have quite a few), current members will automatically be included in on those as well.
Like what you see? Upgrade your account right now through the forums (there are yearly and monthly options available). Or you can upgrade right here (for the yearly package) or right here (for the monthly package) if you don't want to use PayPal. If you purchase from this page please send me your username to make sure you get all the forum perks.