My Thanks to Icaria

My sincere thanks to Icaria for sponsoring the website this week. Icaria are a progressive rock band based out of Atlanta, GA and they’ve just released a new lyric video for their song “Callous Warrior.” The band formed in February of 2015 and recorded their debut full-length with Jamie King (Between the Buried and Me, He is Legend) and finished it this year. They’re currently shopping the record to labels and can be found on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Donald Glover Cast as Young Lando Calrissian

Donald Glover has been cast as a young Lando Calrissian in the upcoming Han Solo movie.

Lucasfilm announced today that Donald Glover, an acclaimed actor, award-winning writer, and Grammy-nominated artist, will be playing the part of Lando Calrissian in the still-untitled Han Solo Star Wars film, helmed by directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Glover will join Alden Ehrenreich — previously cast as Han Solo — in bringing two iconic Star Wars characters back to the big screen, but at a time in their lives previously unexplored.

Tom DeLonge Comments on Leaked Emails

Tom DeLonge has commented on Instagram about some of his emails showing up on Wikileaks:

Wikileaks really messed some important stuff up. What seems like ridiculous subject matter to most, is of massive importance to admirable National Security Leadership. It’s easy to poke fun about the topic from an armchair, but unless you’re invited to the meetings I have been a part of, then…no more laughing. Big things are coming. Project is still on, believe it or not, things just got bigger.

Many Websites Go Down After DDoS Attack

Quite a few websites and services (Twitter, SoundCloud, Spotify, etc.) are down today after a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack on the DNS provider Dyn occurred this morning. Gizmodo has the full list of sites and more information:

Domain Name Servers (DNS) act as the internet’s phone book. Basically, they facilitate your request to go to a certain webpage and make sure you are taken to the right place. If the DNS provider that handles requests for Twitter is down, well, good luck getting to Twitter. Some websites are coming back for some users, but it doesn’t look like the problem is fully resolved.

Hyperpartisan Facebook Pages Are Publishing False and Misleading Information

BuzzFeed News:

However, during the time period analyzed, we found that right-wing pages were more prone to sharing false or misleading information than left-wing pages. Mainstream pages did not share any completely false information, but did publish a small number of posts that included unverified claims. (More on that below.)

We rated 86 out of a total 666 right-wing Facebook posts as mostly false, for a percentage of 13%. Another 167 posts (25%) were rated as a mixture of true and false. Viewed separately or together (38%), this is an alarmingly high percentage.

Left-wing pages did not earn as many “mostly false” or “mixture of true and false” ratings, but they did share false and misleading content. We identified 22 mostly false posts out of a total of 471 from these pages, which means that just under 5% of left-wing posts were untrue. We rated close to 14% of these posts (68) a mixture of true and false. Taken together, nearly a fifth of all left-wing posts we analyzed were either partially or mostly false.

Facebook, what are you doing? This is where a shocking number of people get their “news” and at this rate a huge part of it is literal bullshit.

Albums in Stores – Oct. 21st, 2016

Today is a pretty impressive release day. I think it’s highlighted by the fantastic new one from Jimmy Eat World. But there’s also albums from Lady Gaga, Kevin Devine, and American Football. If you hit read more you can see all the releases we have in our calendar for the week. Hit the quote bubble to access our forums and talk about what came out today, what albums you picked up, and to make mention of anything we may have missed.