I hope everyone had a good week this week. This week’s supporter Q&A post can be found here.
If you’d like this newsletter delivered to your inbox each week (it’s free and available to everyone), you can sign up here.
A Few Things
- This will probably be another shortish newsletter. It’s a slower music week, and it’s the time of the year when there’s not much happening in the music world, and I have a lot of family commitments. It’s nice to take some time off and enjoy my favorite time of the year though. It’s wild to think that next week will be Hannah and my fourth wedding anniversary. The plan is to relax a little, have some nice meals, and get some things done around the house to prepare for the holidays.
In Case You Missed It
- Review: Taking Back Sunday – 152
- Review: Boys Like Girls – Sunday At Foxwoods
- Green Day Announce 2024 Tour
- Anberlin Share Matty Mullins Vocal Clip
- Major Labels Trying to Stop Artists from Re-Recording Songs
- Taking Back Sunday Play Fan Wedding
- Brian Fallon Reviews Every Gaslight Anthem Album
- The Gaslight Anthem Perform on CBS Saturday Morning
- 20th Anniversary Edition of ‘Take This To Your Grave’
- Albums in Stores – Nov 3rd, 2023
- Things I enjoyed that came out yesterday were the final Atreyu EP, creating a nice 12-song album that leans more into their pop side but works for me this time of year. And Spiritbox also released an awesome EP that continues their hot streak.
- My week was spent between the current releases (Blink-182, Gaslight Anthem, Taking Back Sunday) and revisiting some albums that always feel great in November (Matt Nathanson, Patrick Droney, anything Ace Enders touches).
- From the very first one to the latest, I’m a sucker for all the Mission: Impossible movies. I enjoyed Dead Reckoning, but I did feel like it was hurt by only being a “part one.” There are some great action scenes and set pieces. But not quite up to the level as my favorites from the franchise on first watch.
- We did a bunch of Halloween movies last week: Talk to Me was the best of the bunch, The Blackening was a lot of fun, and Suitable Flesh was weird.
- Whenever I think I’m about to just cancel Netflix they release something that pulls me back in. Currently, that’s Bodies. The first four episodes have pulled me in. Curious to see where it goes.
Random and Personal Stuff
- Next week’s project is to get the bedroom track lights fixed. The power supply for them died, and of course, they don’t make it anymore. After talking to a few electricians, they all think the whole system probably needs to be replaced because of how old it is (like 15 years?), and they don’t make anything compatible anymore. So my “this shouldn’t be too annoying to fix” project became a “this is going to be absolutely obnoxious” project real fast.
Here are ten songs that I listened to and loved this week. Some may be new, some may be old, but they all found their way into my life during the past seven days.
- Spiritbox – Ultraviolet
- The Beatles – Now and Then
- Sigrid – Borderline
- Blink-182 – Turpintine
- Taking Back Sunday – Juice 2 Me
- The Gaslight Anthem – The Weatherman
- Patrick Droney – We Got Old This Year
- Matt Nathanson – Soundtrack
- There Will Be Firewords – Smoke Machines (Summer Moon)
- Paint it Black – Dominion
The trending and popular threads in our community this week include:
- NFL Gameday Week 9
- Nutella vs. Cookie Butter
- Kevin Drew – Aging (November 3, 2023)
- MGMT – Loss Of Life (February 23, 2024)
- FOOTBALLHEAD – Overthinking Everything (March 1, 2024)
- Tour Prediction and Speculation Thread
- Video Games : Game Harder JFG Edition
- Men’s Soccer (Football) Thread
- 2023-2024 NFL Season Thread
The most liked post in our forums last week was this one by Sean Murphy in the “Accountability in Music” thread.
Previous editions of Liner Notes can be found here.