A quick little newsletter this week as I check in on a few things I’ve been listening to and enjoying. There’s also a playlist of ten songs worth your time, and this week’s supporter Q&A post can be found here.
If you’d like this newsletter delivered to your inbox each week (it’s free and available to everyone), you can sign up here.
A Few Things
- This will probably be a shorter newsletter this week. I had a busy weekend and still need to finish up a few things around the house before the start of the week. The first thing I wanted to share is my version of Blink-182’s Coachella performance. I took the highest quality version of the video and then chopped it up by song, tried to edit it for smooth transitions, and then fake mastered it (limiter, increasing gain, smoothing levels, cleaning up the audio as best I could). I’m pleased with the outcome and think it’s a worthy addition to anyone’s collection. I loved the performance and wanted something I could add to Apple Music and play whenever I wanted, I’m not usually big on live shows or bootlegs, but this performance already has a special place in my heart. If I can get a good-quality video of the band’s performance this weekend, I’ll probably try and do the same. I used the band’s limited edition t-shirt as the artwork, but this fan-made art (I believe this is the artist) in the style of The Mark Tom and Travis show is pretty incredible (and there are iPhone wallpapers too).
In Case You Missed It
- Dave Hause – “Tarnish”
- Foo Fighters Announce New Album
- Arrows in Action – “Head in the Clouds”
- Taylor Acorn – “Coma”
- Joy Oladokun – “Taking Things For Granted”
- The Band Camino – “What Am I Missing?”
- The Used – “Numb”
- New The Gaslight Anthem Premieres
- Blink-182 Replacing Frank Ocean at Coachella
- Foo Fighters Announce New Album
- Blink-182 Coachella Videos
- Underoath Announce New Tour Dates
- Albums in Stores – Apr. 21st, 2023
- I checked a few new things out this week; first up was the new full-length from Joan. They’re in the same vein as other synth-pop, chill, catchy, and well-executed. Worth a look if you like that sound.
- I also checked out the new album from Redhook. Similar style to Hot Milk, pop-punk adjacent with a highlight on the electronic elements. It was an enjoyable listen, and I’ll have to give it another spin this week to see how it sits.
- I also checked out the new album from William Prince. Singer-songwriter with a really pleasant voice. I liked this a lot and will be adding this to my late-night listening rotation.
- Next up on my list is to check out the new album from Everything but the Girl and hopefully finally get around to listen to the new Metallica album.
- The rest of my week was rounded out with a whole lot of fun pop-punk music as Blink-182’s Coachella performance got me back on that bandwagon.
The Stats: Over the past week, I listened to 48 different artists, 94 different albums, and 566 different tracks (713 scrobbles). My most played artist was Blink-182 with my version of their live at Coachella set being my most played album (see above). Here is my Top 9 from last week, and you can follow me on Apple Music and/or Last.fm.
- Shazam: Fury of the Gods was nowhere near as fun and enjoyable as the first film. Overstuffed and kind of boring.
- Ghosted was one of the worst things I’ve seen in a while. Steaming pile of garbage.
- We are continuing our watch of Carnival Row (still good) and following it up with the show Wayne on Amazon. We are only about four episodes into Wayne, but I’m really loving it so far. The new late-night show has been Modern Family since Hannah never saw it, and I’ve been loving this season of Ted Lasso.
Random and Personal Stuff
- We went bowling and to an arcade with some friends last night. Now my arm and hand are sore. Getting older is a journey in all the cliches becoming true and happening to you.
Here are ten songs that I listened to and loved this week. Some may be new, some may be old, but they all found their way into my life during the past seven days.
- Foo Fighters – Rescued
- Taylor Acorn – Coma
- Redhook – Imposter
- Joan – Nervous
- Against the Current – “Good Guy”
- William Prince – Tanqueray
- Derek Sanders – For Dear Life
- Pennywise – Same Old Story
- Sum 41 – Count Your Blessings
- Born Astray – Not Gonna Stay
This playlist is available on Spotify and Apple Music.
The trending and popular threads in our community this week include:
- 2023 Chorus.fm NFL Mock Draft 3.0: The Last Last One by The Weakerthans
- The Japanese House – In The End It Always Does (June 30,2023)
- Songs By The Letter – Your Top “I” Songs
- Better Lovers
- Foo Fighters – But Here We Are (June 2nd, 2023)
- Tour Prediction and Speculation Thread
- Men’s Soccer (Football) Thread
- Video Games : Game Harder JFG Edition
- Wrestling Thread 7: FTR Baldhausen
The most liked post in our forums last week was this one by Jason Tate in the “blink-182” thread.
Previous editions of Liner Notes can be found here.